Spring Rhubarb Cake
This is the time of year when the rhubarb leaves are big and those inviting red stalks just beg to have something made from them. Here is a family favorite that we have made for years and even the people who say they don’t like rhubarb, love this cake. So enjoy a burst of spring with this moist, delicious recipe!
It’s really great with a cup of coffee.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, finely diced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, cream shortening and sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla; stir to blend.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients; stir to blend. Alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk to creamed mixture, stirring well after each addition.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-by-13-inch pan.
- Combine topping ingredients; shake or stir to blend. Sprinkle over cake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until cake tests done.
Yield: 18-24 servings
Note: This recipe came from a very yellowed newspaper clipping taped into my recipe file. I think it may have come from The Spokesman-Review in about 1988.
Handy Shopping List for this Recipe:
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Sea Salt
- 9×13 baking dish
- Silicone mixing spoon
- Electric mixer